This Simple Exercise Burns More Calories Than 30 Minutes of Running
There are studies suggesting that 10 minutes of jumping rope is as efficient as 30 minutes of jogging in terms of cardiovascular improvement and calorie burn. Skipping rope burns approximately 330 calories, while jogging burns 270 calories.
Jumping rope doesn’t need much space — you can exercise anywhere and at any time. Skipping rope tones your arms, legs, back, abs, bum, and shoulders. It works several muscle groups at once.
What you need to know before you get started
1. Wear shoes without padding. You can also jump barefoot, which is even better, but we do not advise you to try it until you master the technique.
2. Choose the right jump rope. If you have the opportunity, buy it in a sporting goods store where you can get advice on picking the right length, handle, material, etc.
3. Keep your head straight and look ahead. Do not look down.
4. Your torso should be straight and your knees slightly bent.
5. Keep your elbows close to your body.
6. Grip the handles with your fingers, not your palms.
7. Important: use your wrists to spin the rope, not your arms.
8. Use the front of your feet (metatarsus) to propel you and to land. Your heels should never touch the ground when skipping. You don’t have to jump very high — it is sufficient for you to jump 3-4 cm.
That’s right — a skipping rope is not just for kids. It is proven an excellent way to burn calories.